Ok..So this post took me good two days as it required a lot of thought because there are just too many Primer in India right from the drugstore brands to high end brands. NYX, L’Oreal, MAC, Inglot, Clinique, Colorbar, Benefit, MUFE, Smashbox, Bourjois..every brand has one! But I narrowed down the scope to be specific for oily skin type or it would have become too general. Primers, which are the makeup saviors for flawless skin, are generally not given the due importance that they deserve.
They seal oil in the skin and act as an assistant to finished look of the face by giving the skin the right tone and texture making the foundation and makeup stay longer on the face than it generally does plus easing out the natural creases that tend to appear on the eye shadow as the day ends. Some even target discoloration, dryness and blemishes. The ones with silica work best. Here are the best primers for oily skin (not in any particular order).
1. Mac Prep + Prime Skin Base Visage- Primer
All you have to do is take a little bit of Prep + Prime on your hand or sponge or even a brush, I use sponge because my skin is oily in the t-zone so it is preferable to use a sponge so the excess oil is evened out, like it claims and after that you let the primer sink into your skin (no it isn’t dangerous!) It would give out better effects. It makes your skin a bit more supple and your make-up sets more perfectly.
Good points about MAC Prep + Prime Skin Base Visage:
- Makes skin evenly toned, if used moderately.
- It really does smoothen out your acnes, spots. Doesn’t hide but that’s not what primer does so it tones them down a little
Bad points about MAC Prep + Prime Skin Base Visage:
- Contains micro glitter that may show through the foundation if it’s light coverage.
2. L’Oreal Paris Base Magique Transforming Smoothing Primer
A unique blend of silicon oils and soft light powders create a sensational smoothing velvet formula to refine the skin
– Smooth wrinkles and fine lines
– Perfectly hides pores
– Skin imperfections are corrected
– The rosy shade brings out the translucency on the bare skin tone.
Good points about L’Oreal Paris Base Magique Transforming Smoothing Primer
– It blends easily.
– It gives velvet touch finish.
– It enhances staying power of foundation.
– It hides big pores.
– It does not cause any breakouts
3. Benefit POREfessional Matte Rescue Primer
You know I always keep it open and honest here on the blog, even when a product is a PR sample that was sent to me for review. I would never, ever recommend that you spend your hard-earned money on a product that I don’t feel 100% happy with. That said, these products might work wonderfully for you.
This gel-based moisturiser-primer-hybrid feels extremely lightweight on the skin and sets quickly to a shine-controlling matte finish. Matte Rescue is a water-based gel, so not only does it make oily skin feel fresh and clean, but it also hydrates the skin ever so slightly. Usually mattifying skin care products leave my skin feeling tight and stripped of essential oils, but this one actually makes my skin feel softer and smoother with a natural matte finish.
4. NYX SHINE KILLER
Shine Killer is a soft clear gel which has a soft, velvety finish and a silicone base. If you like silicone primers, well it is debatable if you need it. It does have that velvety, powdery feel and dries down to a matte finish however on the plus sound it isn’t itchy nor does it pill.
It’s really debatable if this is for you or not, I personally prefer hydrating primers due to my drier skin but I find I migrate towards silicone primers occasionally when I want a super smooth canvas to apply makeup as hydrating ones don’t exactly excel at creating such a surface.
Shine Killer is a soft clear gel which has a soft, velvety finish and a silicone base. If you like silicone primers, well it is debatable if you need it. It does have that velvety, powdery feel and dries down to a matte finish however on the plus sound it isn’t itchy nor does it pill. It’s really debatable if this is for you or not, I personally prefer hydrating primers due to my drier skin but I find I migrate towards silicone primers occasionally when I want a super smooth canvas to apply makeup as hydrating ones don’t exactly excel at creating such a surface.
5. Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer
This primer has a very light texture and it blends into the skin like a dream and creates a smooth canvas for the makeup. This magically covers the pores and gives a flawless finish to the skin. I apply it daily even if I am not wearing any foundation just to cover up my pores and it works perfectly every time. It’s just your skin but better. Apply this baby and some loose powder and voila, you have the perfect “No makeup look”.
Now one secret😉, you can use this product after finishing your makeup to set it. Yes you heard it right! This is something which is very unique about this product. This can be the very first and the last product in your makeup routine. When I heard this from the Sephora SA, I could not believe it completely. But you know this trick really works; it keeps your face shine-free and matte for entire day
Good Point about Smashbox Photo Finish Pore Minimizing Foundation Primer:
• Magically covers up the large pores.
• Creates a perfect canvas for makeup.
• Gives a matte finish to the skin.
Bad Point about Smashbox Photo Finish Pore Minimizing Foundation Primer:
6. Colorbar Perfect Match Primer
This satin-touch, oil-free primer masks fine lines and uneven texture, making skin marvelously soft and smooth. It’s the perfect base for makeup as it holds your foundation in place for long hours.
Features And Benefits
- Leaves you with a satiny smooth base
- Locks your makeup and makes it last longer
- Does not clog pores and controls sebum production
7.PAC Pore Primer
- The consistency is pretty thin but it’s not transparent in color, It has a white milky shade but upon application, it doesn’t show up at all.
- It’s supposed to minimize the appearance of the pores and fine line, Make the skin texture appear very smooth and soft.
- Well I am absolutely loving this primer and am so glad that I got this one. It definitely does what it claims to do. Whenever I have used this primer, it has made my pores literally disappear. It gives me a super smooth canvas to work with and the makeup looks even better .
7. Milani Prime Shield Mattifying + Pore-Minimizing Face Primer
I thought the texture very interesting because unlike thicker silicon primers, I’m talking to you Smashbox, this absorbs into a very, very thin layer on skin. I think it’ll do well mattifying mildly oily skin and will reduce shine instantly upon application. It’s also puts lays a nice thin layer of silicon across skin for foundation to adhere which means your foundation is less likely to oxidize and fade quickly.